Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wedding betrayal.

Things have been going well overall, so everything is perfectly boring, which is just fine with me.
I even got the oldest a musical instrument since I figure it would be something to distract him from some of the bad influences he's been involved with and had taken to the instrument immediately.

Meanwhile, issues with my own kid seem to have gotten a but more exciting; it seems that she is interested in getting married.
While I am a realist about this sort of thing,i was a bit peeved about not waiting until she's finished with her undergraduate degree.

Fine. I'll get over it, but secretly I was thrilled. He's a fine young man with ambition and certainly has potential.

While discussing potential dates, she commented that *I* wasn't going to walk her down the isle.

I was devastated.
I was angry.

She comments to me that she wanted to walk herself down the isle, because she felt she was always an adult. Needless to say that I wasn't thrilled by that statement.

It was later when FF, who had joined her facebook page, asked her the reasoning behind her choices. It basically came down that the tradition was stupid and just because I was raised in the last "millennium" that didn't mean that she had to follow them.

It was at this point when I decided that I can't count on her to take care of me in my old age as I have done with her grandmother, an unspoken expectation and tradition within the family.
It was at this point that I decided I need to look after my own interests and let heer pay her own way thru college, as I have been paying her tuition in cash up until now.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4

3 comments:

  1. I was here..
    Yeah you're not paying her bills is a good antidote to bring her to her senses..
    I'm sure she's just tasting her boundaries, that's all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think longer term.

    Sure you could cut off tuition as revenge, but would she stay in school? A college degree will likely increase her earnings potential. Translation: there is less chance she will remain a burden on your financial situation years from now.

    I would take the high road and not react to her decision.

    ReplyDelete