Thursday, February 18, 2010

Concerns and Questions...

Been meaning to put these thoughts down for at least a few weeks, but as is typical for me, only an illness that has kept me home provided me the time to be able to allow myself some quiet time to collect my thoughts.

Things have been progressing quite well with FF and I,  however, a few minor things keep creeping up in the back of my mind that just nibble at me:

One thing is our conversations.  They're a bit too simplistic and quite...pedestrian.  All we seem to talk about are our jobs, sex, and kids.   Not that there is anything wrong with either topic, but I like to know her thoughts on current events, political leanings, thoughts for the future.  Additionally, she occasionally gives me a blank stare when I use a word that she hasn't heard before. "Contention" is one of the words that come to mind.  
Now, not to say I'm a brainiac by any stretch of any acid tripper's imagination, but that really throws me.

Another thing, is that as she struggles through her college reading materials, she says she constantly needs to bring out a thesaurus to help her understand.

Wow.

When we talk about what happens after college, she mentions that not only will she stay in the industry she's in (which is low paying to begin with), but will try to maintain her position since she enjoys it so much.

Really?

That seems unnatural for me.   The point of college (or any profession, really), is the ability to climb the ladder of the economic food chain and get more responsibility and get paid for your knowledge and experience.

This kinda' spooks me a bit.
While she is getting a VERY generous child and spousal support from her Ex; there is always a possibility that things can, and will, change.   I wonder if her basically being a housewife for the past 15+ years and being financially dependent on her husband has skewed her view on how she has to concentrate on being a bread winner.

Not that her future wage potential alarms me, but rather the indifference she has towards climbing up the ladder. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm feeling a bit woozy and when kitty sounds like she's uttering sentences, that's my Que that I need to lay back down.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you're ill.. Please get better.Simply put, you're beginning to get bored with her.Do something with her.
    www.askchacha4free.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon.

    Her lack of ambition is a little is a little disconcerting. I don't know what to say but I'm a bit of an intellectual snob so you probably don't want my advice...if you can't have real discussions beyond the banal, won't you get bored?

    ReplyDelete