Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Run for the border....and back?

Well, I only got three replies to my post on CL since the latest "Break up", but one was interesting.
Sharing a common ethnic background, we hit it off initially.  I ask her some really stupid personal questions, which could be considered a "stereotype" but she laughs it off and replies in the positive...

Then we start hitting off on some personal peeves that people do that make themselves look like a caricature of a stereotype (Read: Brown trash).  We continue laughing about some of the same experiences we shared dating someone of the same race and how we sometimes rolled our eyes when they would do bizarre shit.

Yeah, we both think Gold plates with your name on a chain around your neck is classy.*
Yeah.  We think that penciling (Badly) in your shaved eyebrows is in fashion around the world.*
Oh we definitely think women should wear clothes two sizes too tight.*
If you're not detecting the sarcasm in this section; I'm sorry.

Laughing ourselves silly to the point where I start to uncontrollably cough forces me to cut the call short.

Okay. I'm liking this.

A few hours later, we continue our call and we continue our talk about various things when suddenly she mentions she doesn't do Chinese or Asian food.
"Really?"
"Yep.  Don't like wierd foods."
"SERIOUSLY?"
"Yeah."

Oh fuck. I LOVE Chinese, Thai, and Japanese.
Alright, I can deal with it, I've gotten girlfriends/dates to like different cuisines.

We go to kidding about our relatives and such and I mention I had a relative who is REALLY into conspiracy theories...like not going to the moon.
She responds that he's probably right.

You ever hear that "screeching" noise in your head when you go "WTF?"
Yeah, that's what I heard.

So we actually start debating this and the 9/11 theory.

I finally shut her up by a simple fact of human nature:

People love to talk.
It can't be helped.
Every major event in history has been uncovered because one or two people couldn't stand it anymore.

People not coming out of the woodwork with the Kennedy assassination, The Moon Landing, and 9/11 was something she couldn't deny.
But I might have lost a potential girlfriend by winning a pointless debate..

It was getting late and she had to get to bed, I had more work to do and I had to think about this.

We are a bit distant as far as political ideaology goes, but we think along the same lines culturally and religiously.

We're going to try to arrange a date sometime next week, I am still feeling a bit under the weather and I have a feeling I need my wits about me for this one.

*After debating for an hour or so about linking up to examples, I just couldn't do it.  The relatives might all pile into a tricked out chevy and run to my door...if they can keep their pants from falling down around their knees.

2 comments:

  1. You know, when I READ that part about the conspiracy theories I heard that noise in my head as well. The question is: you uncover a weird one like that right away: what lies under the surface?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally agree.
    Having done dated (and screwed) my share of crazy women (see: cast of characters), everyone has certain beliefs; whether it's political, religious, or whatever you prefer Van Halen with David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar (personally, I believe Hagar was a better singer). The question is how flexible are they to listen to an opposing view.

    Which reminds me, I need to write an update.

    ReplyDelete