Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wave off and a test of will power

I was rather ahead of schedule for our first meeting by at least 20 minutes, so I figure I'd give her a quick call to let her know and if she wanted me to order a drink for her.
She didn't answer and it eventually went to voice mail.
Didn't think about it too much at the time, since I was pondering smacking my car into a hummer that was a little too close for comfort.
Two minutes later, my phone rang:
"Hey! I'm sorry I didn't answer, I JUST got home."
"That's cool. Worked late?"
"Yeah, boss kept me running around all day.
"So you REALLY do need that drink, hm? I can wait a bit longer if you need the time to freshen up."
"Actually, I'm bushed, can we make it for another day? Like maybe Wednesday? I'm sorry!"
"Sure, no problem, I have work to do anyway."

Which is true, it was going to be a busy night and the traffic was putting me in a bad mood.

This isn't the first time I got a wave off on a first date, so I didn't let it get to me.


At 4 in the morning, during the night, I realized that i was within a couple of blocks of KM's home, for some inexplicable reason I found myself driving by.
Within a few short moments, I saw the darkened home with her car out front.
I wistfully look at the spot where we had had our first encounter.

Sitting for a few moments, I scribbled the following on a piece of paper:

I do miss you.
Wish you were in my life still, but I'm not angry. Reconsider.
R.

The 30 second walk to her car seemed like forever and the wiper seemed unusually heavy as I slipped it underneath.

I stood there for an eternity watching the moisture from the windshield cling to my paper.
Fuck that.
Grabbing the paper, I threw it into the gutter on the way back to the car.

Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment