Thursday, August 6, 2009

A night at the Opera; The (Un)magical Flute

Tonight's date and I went to a showing of Mozart's "The Magic Flute" that was (re)broadcast from the NYMet from the 2006 performance.
The Date that I went to was surprised that I wanted to go to this, but was something new for her. While she has attended several plays, she's never been to attended an opera.  I, on the other hand, try to attend these as often as I can, since these are more agreeable to my schedule than attending an actual performance at the Hobby Center or The Wortham.*
My date arrived at a nearby food establishment and had just burgers and fries and a couple of beers.
The topics ranged about our work, her work, her family, etc.
No spark.
None.
Looking at my watch, the clock ticked way too slow for my taste.
Meandering over to the theater, we take our spots in a quickly filling theater and we talk a bit longer about Operas, Mozart, and Art in general.
She hints that she's thirsty.
"I'll take a coke."
She just looks at me.
"Okay. a LARGE coke."
"You're not going to go get it?"
So far this whole thing has been on my dime, you would figure she'd at least spring the 4 bucks (or whatever) for a drink.  So much for a "casual" date.
I hand her my credit card, "Go have fun."
She leaves, slightly disappointed, while I open up my phone, and drool over Library Vixen's latest entry, and check up on email.
Arriving a few minutes later, she hands me my coke and, to my relief, the opera starts.
She tries to ask me something, unrelated to the opera and I "Shhh" her.

A short time later, it was over, she looked at me and said, "I don't get it."
The production wasn't the best, so for a person not familiar with it, I could understand her confusion.  She was fond of Papageno, didn't think Pamina was attractive, but Tamino had an excellent voice.   She also seemed quite impressed with the wardrobe (which I agreed were awesome). 
Begging off that I was tired, I offered to walk her to her car, give her a small kiss and walk away.

Yep. No magic there at all.
I immediately deleted, and did a casual chat with Starfish.  It was a short convo since I had the sudden urge to simply sleep early.
Time for CL again.

*Yes, I really AM someone with varied interests.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there was a lot of potential for this being a fun date! I love plays and Broadway shows but have never been to an opera...its on my list of things to do...someday! lol
    I bet it would have been much more enjoyable had you attended it with someone you had a spark with. Oh well...next time hopefully, right?

    ReplyDelete