Saturday, February 14, 2009

Just Hit Delete

My phone is clogged with old friends and current clients.

Occasional I have to delete a number of someone that I just haven't heard from in forever for whatever reason.
Just hit delete, and the person you have will be gone forever....or at least, you hope so.

To hit delete on your contact list means that the person in your life no longer exists.
Used to be that you had their phone number(s), addresses, their Aunt Irma's, or god knows what other info on a Rolodex* or some phone book at home.

Today it's more of a tenuous grip we have on the people we have in our lives, all of our information to our friends is usually contained on our cell phones.  We lose that cell phone and odds are, we will find out who will miss us until we scavenge the numbers again.
Additionally, we also contain quite a few other people on a contact list on our IM's and outlooks.
If our computers are stolen or killed, the same thing occurs.
Who will truly miss before we get our digital lives back together again.


Then there are those that you want out of your life.
You need them out of your life.
The Ex-Husband/Wife/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Lover.

Hitting delete is a big step of going forward in your life, but some people are afraid to hit delete so we have these numbers on our phones that we never call, hope to one day hear from.
We hope they don't delete us.

Stella: Former fiance, one of my best lovers.  I had to grow up and realize my life with her but we would be living in a contestant world of a Lifetime Movie.  Having finally hit delete a few months ago, but she's proven she rarely hits delete on mine.

GD: An easy delete, no emotional attachment. I deleted haven't heard from since.

Andi:  One of my tougher deletes, took me a bit to move on, now I have to put up with the occasional I miss you Text messages AND IM's.  She obviously doesn't really want to let go.  I'm going to ask her next time I see her to delete me.  I want us to lose our way to each other.

SharonTried hitting delete, but we now have an "understanding" to what has the potential to be a very toxic (yet fun) relationship.  Meh.

KM:  She called the whole thing off and become "Friends", but what I told her what they might include, she hesitated. I deleted, but I don't think she did.  We'll see.

Each delete means that you're growing that much more.

Yay. Happy Fucking Valentine's Day.




*For those kids that don't know what a rolodex is.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to go "clean out" my cell phone right now. I'm gonna start with Jimmy...I gotta let him go.

    But it IS a big step to delete someone from your life, um, I mean, your cell phone.

    Big step.

    And Happy Valentine's Day to you, Sugar. (The day is WAY over rated, anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The delete is huge...I actually kept calling a ex just to hear his voicemail. That delete was monumental.

    Chin up friend! You're each delete helps us grow.

    And Happy Belated Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh geez I delete right away, once an ex always an ex...no point in rehashing things :)

    ReplyDelete